Monday, December 22, 2008

Here I am...

When I was a kid, we used to sing a particular hymn at my church...you may have heard it if you come from a fairly traditional background. The chorus went something like...

"Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord? I have heard you calling in the night. I will go, Lord,
if you lead me. I will hold your people in my heart."

Every time we sang that song, I'd start shaking and crying -- much against my will. I can remember it, vividly...from probably about age 9 or 10.

At the time, I remember feeling a strange mix of embarrassment and excitement, but over time, I began to "train myself" to NOT sing during that hymn...to focus on something, ANYthing else so that I wouldn't start crying and look like a dork in front of the other kids, who didn't seem to be at all influenced by the music, and were obviously MUCH cooler than I was.

Many years later, I realized with awe that God had been moving in my life, even at such a young age...calling me out to follow and to lead. To not follow the crowd and do what the cool kids were doing...somehow trying to convince my stubborn heart that the life I saw others living was not nearly as amazing as the life He had in mind for me...

I re-read the passage in Isaiah 6:8 tonight and am hearing Him again...calling me out to live an extraordinary life...as long as I don't allow myself to focus on anything other than what He has for me...

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying -- "Whom shall I send?" And who will go for us? And I said, "Here am I. Send me."

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I love that song. Good thing because I will have it stuck in my head all night now.
I remember always being moved by "On Eagles Wings".
"And He will raise you up on Eagles Wings, bear you on the breath of dawn and make you to shine like the sun, and hold you in the palm of His hand." Hmmm, now I am going to have to figure that one out.