Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Taking care of "stuff"

So, Nick left yesterday for Honduras, and I've been on my own with the kids for almost 48 hours now. To most moms, this would not be a big deal, I imagine.

But, as Dominick seems quite fond on reminding me the past two days, I'm not a "normal mom."

I am the one that usually goes on "trips," according to the kids. (This is, in fact, quite true.) So, me being home with them each night, fixing dinner, taking them to practices, getting them ready for school and onto the bus -- it's all stuff I'm not as practiced at as Nick is...

Lanie and Anthony seem quite content with how things have been going these couple of days, but Dominick believes that there is "important stuff" that I'm just not taking care of...hmmm...

Tonight, as I was putting the kids in bed, Lanie and Dominick and I prayed together for Nick. (Anthony was already asleep). Lanie's prayer was so sweet...it went something like this:

"Dear Jesus, please take care of Daddy and help him to remember, that even though we're really far away from him, that we love him and miss him. Please help us to have fun and do okay while he's gone. Please protect him and bring him home safely."

Nice.

Sweet.

No sideways comments about my mothering this week...

Then, it was Dominick's turn...

"Dear God, please help us. We know that Mom is usually the one that goes on trips, and Dad takes care of things for us. Please help us with the hole that we have since Dad isn't here to take care of stuff for us. That's it. Amen."

Um...so, what "stuff" am I not taking care of? I asked him this question, and if he was worried about something not getting taken care of. He seemed worried, but unable to describe the gaping hole in "things that need to be taken care of."

In any case, I am certainly appreciating what it feels like to be a single parent, and know that this experience will help me to appreciate and empathize with Nick when I do have to travel...and hopefully the kids will survive the rest of our week. By the tone of Dominick's blog, it'll be a miracle if we survive. ;-)

4 comments:

Helen Ann said...

I know you will do awesome! God says he loves your mothering! He is proud of you!

Doug said...

We all know you'll do fine, the kids will survive, the house will still be there when Nick gets home.

When Kelly goes out of town, she usually takes the kids with her and I'm left to take care of me and the dog. Nothing important. In June, she'll be leaving for a few days without the kids and I'll be in the same situation you're in.

Enjoy the change of pace.

[papa h] said...

Ann
Good Morning!I enjoyed reading your blog about family life. Nick was on my mind this morning and I know God is going to give him an awesome experience this week. You will receive the same blessings in a different way ...precious time with the kids and anticipating Nick's return! I am so glad to here you are coming to Sedona! I feel God has more in the works than just a trip out west. I wish Nick could come with you. I feel some of Jill's co-workers are being drawn to her light,without knowing the source of the light. I pray that you God will give you His peace during this hectic week and a extra dose of energy! God Bless

Nick Calcara said...

Maybe Dominick actually enjoys me being around. I thought I was just mean ol' bossy dad to him. You did great.