Friday, January 16, 2009

What's in a name?

There has been a lot in popular "maverick" leadership press over the past few years about titles. All over, "hip" companies are letting folks create their own titles, or giving people very descriptive titles ("Change Agent" or "Optimizer" or "Detail Driver") while moving away from "traditional" titles like Vice President or Director. Tradition is bad! Change is good! Freedom from the chains of stuffy old definitions that put people and their contributions into a pre-determined box! Let people create a title that communicates what they uniquely bring and who they uniquely are...

I have been a big supporter of this movement for quite some time...

However...I've been thinking about it a LOT lately, and I might be changing my mind a bit...

I was reflecting on big moments in my own personal growth, both in my career and in life in general. I realized that almost every time I've made a significant leap in my growth, it's been PREceded by some "title" that was given to me. Usually, I had some understanding of what the "title" meant or the mantle it carried, but never did I feel worthy of it or ready for it. In contrast, times when I've given myself a title, it's reflective what I thought I was contributing or reasonably capable of contributing at the time, but rarely something way beyond me that I could grow into.

A few examples...

"mom" -- I was given the title "mom" when I first became pregnant with my first child. Arguably, at that point, I was not doing any of the things I thought "moms" do...I was still taking care of myself, would vomit at the sight or smell of someone else's vomit, needed a good 8 hours of sleep, and thought my life was "busy." Ha! But, something about being called "mom" inspired me to begin to live up to the title.

"mentor" -- this was a big one for me...a young manager at P&G asked me to be her "mentor" several years ago. I had a pretty good idea of what a mentor was, and I certainly didn't think I was capable of being one to someone else...I was, at that point, mostly a mentee -- seeking guidance from my own set of mentors (wise people with lots of career and life experience). But, again, somehow, being called a mentor inspired me to begin to live up to the title.

"coach" -- again...same story for me. Several others: "Manager" "Associate Director" "General Manager" "Executive Director"...each time, I've not felt ready or worthy, but I had a pretty good working "definition" of what the title meant, and each time, growth came because I strove to live up to the title.

Jesus did the same thing...he gathered a bunch of wayward teenagers with grim prospects for their futures and he called them priest, disciple, healer, fisher of men...all titles that had meaning and definition and that were not at all reflective of what these guys were doing at the time, but rather what Jesus knew they could do if they were inspired and motivated.

Anyway, a bit of rambling tonight...but food for thought...and a few questions to ask myself (maybe that you need to ask yourself, too!):
  • Who in my care do I need to bestow a big title on?
  • Where do I need to embrace the "traditional" titles because they will inspire growth for me or for someone I'm coaching or mentoring?
  • Where might a title be holding someone back from what they could be?
  • Are any of my own titles holding me back? If so, even if no-one else changes them, how might my own perspective or behavior shift if I strove to be worthy of a different "title?"

3 comments:

Elaine said...

After reading this, I have a couple thoughts. First, does a title really hold someone back? I certainly don't know much about the business world, but it seems to me that the type of person who would be held back by a title is really being held back by other things in their character. A good worker is going to go above and beyond regardless of their title. Secondly, I agree with your point about a title causing someone to rise to the occasion. It's kind of like an adult version of getting a gold star. It gives you something solid to aspire to as opposed to a nebulous title or a self-imposed one.

cinciann said...

Elaine, I think that it's less that a title can hold someone back (because you're right that most "strivers" will go above and beyond), but rather about encouraging folks to go even farther...it's about where we set the "bar" for someone or for ourselves...if we always aim to exceed expectations, then we excel even more if the expectations are higher...right?

Michael Joseph Sharp said...

"who we are" VS "who they say we are"

Is it better if there is a difference between the two. Or is it better if they are one in the same? I guess that depends, now doesn't it?

Maurice McCracken was a church leader but also a "tax resister and criminal," ... just for example.