Thursday, February 5, 2009

Overwhelmed

I've been thinking a lot about being overwhelmed. I really over-use the word "overwhelmed." Lately, I've realized that I use it almost equally in two "opposite" directions -- I say I'm "overwhelmed" when I am exceptionally stressed, busy, upset; and, I use it when I'm completely awed by something amazing -- often something that God has orchestrated, created or revealed to me.

I'm going to make a brave resolution...

I'm going to reserve the word "overwhelmed" for those situations when I am truly awed by God's presence in my life -- where I feel submerged, sinking in his grace and presence...

That said, I've been overwhelmed many times in the past few weeks, ever since my SOZO experience, I've been having dreams and visions...almost too many and too much to piece it together enough to blog about, but I will soon...

I'm traveling this week...Cincinnati to Denver on Monday; Denver to San Diego on Wednesday, and home tomorrow by way of a quick layover in Salt Lake City. I've flown over the Rocky Mountains before, but this time, I was really overwhelmed by the beauty, majesty and expanse of the range. The bright sun shone on the peaks and cast shadows -- from the sky it looked at one point like a meringue covered pie, and then at another point, choppy, white peaked waves. As I was staring out the window at this glorious example of God's divine creation, I found myself crying...from the wonder of the beauty of the earth; from the gratitude for what I've been blessed to see; for the "small-ness" of me, and the bigness of God and the reality that I'll never be able to comprehend a love so big as His.

Someday, I hope I'll be able to spend a bit more time exploring the beauty of the Rocky Mountains up close. But, for now, I'm looking forward to the view from my seat at 34,000 feet tomorrow on my way home!

1 comment:

Nick Calcara said...

Thanks for the picture sweety. It's just the way I remember it.