Sunday, November 23, 2008

He won't relent...

I was on the west coast this week on a business trip. Since our flight didn't leave til late, Lane and I headed to the beach in San Diego to look around. As I walked along the coast, the waves lapped up on my toes and I did what you always see people do -- I ran to escape the cold water. At some point, I got used to the temperature, and started to welcome the feel of the waves on my feet.

I'm always struck by the breadth and persistence of the sea. It reminds me of how big the earth really is; and how mighty and powerful our God, who created it all, really is.

At VWS this weekend, we sang a song during worship with lyrics that remind us that God won't relent until he has all of us...and, as I was singing with my eyes closed, connecting to God and his spirit, I was back on the beach again....

The waves, I realized, are like him reaching for us...sometimes hard and fast and overpowering; sometimes gentle and easy. But never, ever relenting. Even when he has "some" of me, he still keeps reaching for me, washing over me, asking for me, refreshing me.

And, I realized just how much of my life I haven't yet turned over to him. And yet, even through all that stubbornness and imperfection, the waves never stop reaching for me...I need to not run away, let them wash over me.

Thanks, God, for such a humbling and awesome reminder of how persistent your love is...

4 comments:

Laner said...

We should have talked about this when we were there.
That is what the ocean does for me as well, Ann. The water never comes in the same - it is ever changing. The ripples spread differently every time. The sand ... never ever the same.
The gentleness and the power of the ocean are so representative of the God that I know.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Offensive Coordinator said...

Awesome analogy. Simple yet powerful. Thanks for the illustration.

Unknown said...

Very cool!

And I think I've been on that beach in that same spot. Was that La Jolla?

Michael Joseph Sharp said...

"And, I realized just how much of my life I haven't yet turned over to him. And yet, even through all that stubbornness and imperfection, the waves never stop reaching for me...I need to not run away, let them wash over me."

This is what I struggle with too. It's strange: While I've grown closer to the church, there are still things that I'm keeping to myself, ... and even though I know how destructive this can be, I still keep it.

My hope is to keep showing up, and keep talking to people, and keep praying, ... and hopefully the waves eventually erode the sea wall. Right?