Wednesday, July 8, 2009

This ain't your mama's church...


Growing up, church...

...was a place I went on Sundays.

...was a building.

...smelled a little "funny."

...was predictable.

...was about my religion.

...never seemed to go fast enough (except for the one guy we called "Father Fast Mass"...we loved him!).

...didn't mean much to me.

...was an obligation.



These days, church...

...is a community of people.

...challenges me to grow.

...is a gift.

...is so meaningful to me.

...is something I look forward to.

...smells pretty good (I think it's the coffee!)

...is about my relationships.

I've been reading through Hebrews this week and reflecting a lot on what church really is. What priesthood really means. What I had to learn and un-learn as I began to develop a relationship with Jesus and real community with others.

How has your definition of church changed over time? What is your definition of church?

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Pretty much sums it up, Ann. Church was a place I had to go to, never knew why, never "got it", didn't want to either. Now if I miss it, I feel as if there is something wrong. And yes, it is the coffee that makes VWS smell so good!!!

Nick Calcara said...

Awesome! How come you never told me about Father Fast Mass? Love Ya.

Reverb said...

It's nice to be on staff and actually enjoy being there too!

Kelly said...

My parents joined their current church BECAUSE they have a Father Fast Mass. Sad :(

KrisHull said...

I think a lot of kids have that opinion about church, regardless of where the church is. It's not just a Catholic thing. I'm willing to wager there are teens at VWS who feel the same way, and that there are teens at a Catholic parish who look forward to Mass.

Jill Hunter said...

Hm, church growing up was a great place to be. Mom was always decorating for the new season.(now you know where I get it from) It smell like wood and perfume and flowers and sometimes like coffee and cookies. It is where I fell in love with the painting of Jesus calling all the children to him, where I got to sit in the 5th row next to dad and giggle. (ALWAYS the 5th row) Now church is about me personally connecting with my Father. Smells like coffee all the time and I sit in a different place each week and sometimes giggle with Greg.