Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Take a deep breath...

I'm having one of "those" weeks...

Every once in awhile, I have something close to a panic attack when I look at my calendar and a growing list of things "to do" and have that sinking, awful realization that I am certainly forgetting several really important things I need to do...

It happened this afternoon.

My work schedule has been busier than normal.

As I get more and more into my role at VWS, there is more and more to do.

School starts soon, and that means appointments, supplies, open houses, registration paperwork, clothes and shoes, new backpacks, etc, etc, etc.

Soccer practice is ramping up for both Dominick and Lanie.

The house is on the market, and Nick and I seem to be doing a lot of paperwork and upkeep to keep it presentable for whenever that one perfect buyer comes along.

And, I'm neglecting the things I shouldn't neglect...

  • Staying in the word -- reading scripture daily keeps me centered...why is it one of the first things I let go of when things get crazy like this?
  • Caring for Nick and the kids -- somehow they get the brunt of my frustration and anxiety, as I stomp around feeling sorry for myself.
  • Caring for myself -- exercise is always a challenge, but it's about 9pm, and I just realized I haven't eaten dinner...which means I'll probably end up eating something not-so-healthy and much too late.
  • Sleep -- late to bed and early to rise...trying to fit it all in.
  • Friends -- I'm already fighting the logical solution to give up time with my girlfriends in order to accommodate soccer practices and time at home.
So, I'm going to try to set some boundaries for the amount of time I spend on work stuff and not neglect the things that I know keep me healthy and sane...and keep taking deep breaths...

3 comments:

worldtraveller said...

I think that all of us can relate to this! :) I hope that you are able to find a good balance soon.

See you this fall.

Kelly said...

Oh boy, sounds like my life sometimes. It does get overwhelming at times. But realizing what is most important-God, family, friends, yourself-is the first step. Hang in there!

Elaine said...

I can totally relate. In fact I was just thinking about this subject this morning. We are moving in about 10 days, Rob is completely slammed at his work, I'm super busy with my work...the list goes on and on. When I get overwhelmed, my coping mechanism is to retreat. I stop hanging out with friends, I stop going to the gym, I stop talking to God. Glad (kind of) to know that I'm not the only one. I'll pray that both of us can get into a better groove.