Monday, June 1, 2009

Processing Sedona

Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow. (Col 2:18-19)

Two weeks ago, I visited Sedona, AZ on a business trip.

More accurately, two weeks ago, I visited Sedona on what I thought was going to be a business trip, but what actually ended up being a very interesting part of my own spiritual journey.

First, let me say up front, that some of you may think I'm a total nut job by the time I'm done sharing some of this with you...I think I can live with that...

Second, I'm still processing all that I saw and experienced in Sedona, so I hope you'll show some grace as I stumble through this...

I flew into Phoenix on Monday morning and rented a car for the 2 hour drive north to Sedona. I've been to Phoenix several times over the past few months, but had never been to Sedona. I knew I'd be in "red rock" country, but didn't really know what else to expect.

As I drove north and into the mountains, the beauty of the red rocks seemed to appear out of nowhere. Honestly, I had never seen such amazing beauty before. I could barely drive, and if I wouldn't have already been several hours late for the "conference" I was attending, I would have stopped multiple times to snap a few pictures and stand in awe of the beauty of the landscape. I was reminded over and over again of the indescribable beauty that God creates, and I felt small and a bit ashamed that I had never ventured that way to see and appreciate this amazing beauty right in the good 'ol USA. The sun was bright and the day was exceptionally clear. It was as if the rocks were worshipping Him with their beauty!



After a couple of hours, I neared the town of Sedona. A small-ish town, I discovered. The pueblo architecture was lovely, and the vegetation was much more lush than I had imagined, but as I drove into town, I couldn't quite explain why I started feeling a "heaviness" and seeing a bit of a darkness across the landscape. Somehow the beauty that had all but over-taken me just a few miles south didn't seem so impressive or beautiful anymore...and, honestly, I was not sure I understood why at all.

I made my way through winding roads towards the conference center where our meeting was being held, and as I drove through town, I began to notice a few things...

Crystal shops. Tarot card readings. Psychics. UFO crash sites. Sedona "energy" sites.

Huh?

Every block. Every strip mall. Every shopping center. Every quaint looking shop.

It took me a day or two to get my bearings and begin to put things together...let me digress for a minute...

A few months ago, I blogged about a theory that the most stilted, criminal minds might actually be some of the most gifted and 'dangerous for God' people ever...they are simply a big target for the enemy to deceive with his lies that they should/can use their gifts to gain wealth, fame and fortune and that those things will bring them happiness...in much the same way, I began to understand a difficult truth...

In a place of such amazing natural beauty, that can only be from God, the Holy Spirit is certainly present and active...the tears and sense of awe that I experienced driving into Sedona before I got into the town is evidence of this unspoiled presence of God. But, once in the town, I realized, that where there is so much of God's presence, of course, other, darker spirits are likely to be present, and this dark presence explains the oppression and sadness I felt there.

The piece I'm still working through is that the town of Sedona seems to be taken over by new-age concepts. They talk about Sedona being a 'vortex' of energy from the earth...this energy has 'healing power' and is deeply 'spiritual.' The presence of this 'energy' is thought to be stronger in Sedona than in other places. And, it's credited to the 'creator' or the 'divine.' Scripture is often quoted, but so are the words of other 'texts' and thinkers (Buddhism, Hindu, etc). Locals are quick to reference/credit "God," but don't talk about the idea of relationship or Christianity or Jesus or angels or demons. Some consider themselves 'born again' believers that proclaim Jesus is the Son of God, but seem to believe a list of other new-age-y things as well...

While I was there, I feel like God revealed some truth to me in terms of understanding how strong and deceptive the presence of evil is in the world. He strengthened me and my armor to fight for real freedom for those who are deceived and who are deceiving others (knowingly or unknowingly) by allowing these other spirits to influence them. As I've been learning, I realize how deceptive new-age thinking can really be...maybe I'll write more on that later...it's a bit much to process through, and I'm far from knowing enough to really talk intelligently about it all...

Certainly, I did enjoy the natural beauty of Sedona...this is one my favorite spots -- Cathedral Rock, I think it's called. And, I'm so grateful to be reminded that God's beauty is all around me, but that we have to be vigilant to guard against other, deceptive spirits that are also on this earth -- at least for the time being! ;-)

I'm curious to talk to others that may have been to Sedona. What was your experience? Where else have you felt the presence of God and the presence of darkness or evil as well?

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi Ann,
I have never been to Sedona. It's weird though because for the last couple of years I have felt this "tug" on my heart to be in Arizona or New Mexico. I don't know what God is doing, I had never before even thought of visiting these places, but now I want to live there? Amybe it is for a different spiritual experience, I don't know. Thank you for the pictures. God has created beauty all around us, if only we all would take the time to stop and admire and thank Him.

Sedona tours said...

Hi Ann,

Your commentary is very interesting, particularly your observation of 'dark elements' in such a high energy local.

I am planning a trip to Sedona this fall with some friends - I've never been there but am interested in first hand experience of the vortexes I've heard so much about.

It sounds like Sedona is a blend of true spiritual energy and new age 'hype'. May I ask where you stayed in Sednoa?

cinciann said...

Sedona tours,

I stayed at the southwest inn -- really liked it. Nice, cozy room; great shower; beautiful view and good location for restaurants.

I'm not sure how much of a "blend" Sedona is -- a bit more like oil and water co-existing and getting shaken up together regularly...

Lisa said...

Ann,
I too felt that same spirit of heaviness over the town of Sedona. My reaction was the same as yours as you traveled to get to Sedona. Dale and I took a drive just like you from Phoenix. The saguaro cactus were blooming and it was breathtaking the entire trip. As you round the bend and see those rocks you feel overwhelmed by the vastness of God's personhood. Why would He care about me? Was the question that I had as I cried when confronted with that landscape. Fortunately, I was the passenger and could enjoy the scenery more than Dale!
I could hardly stand the town of Sedona when I first entered into it and wondered why I felt that way. I was like you and tried to figure out why such a beautiful place would have such a oppressiveness. I also came to the same conclusion- the occult. I think where there is an "open heaven" so to speak, spiritual people are drawn to it- both those who love God and those who are seeking and have been deceived.

Sounds like we are long overdue for a visit my friend! We will have to talk about this later. I'd love to get more of your input about your trip.

Lisa said...

Ann,
I too felt that same spirit of heaviness over the town of Sedona. My reaction was the same as yours as you traveled to get to Sedona. Dale and I took a drive just like you from Phoenix. The saguaro cactus were blooming and it was breathtaking the entire trip. As you round the bend and see those rocks you feel overwhelmed by the vastness of God's personhood. Why would He care about me? Was the question that I had as I cried when confronted with that landscape. Fortunately, I was the passenger and could enjoy the scenery more than Dale!
I could hardly stand the town of Sedona when I first entered into it and wondered why I felt that way. I was like you and tried to figure out why such a beautiful place would have such a oppressiveness. I also came to the same conclusion- the occult. I think where there is an "open heaven" so to speak, spiritual people are drawn to it- both those who love God and those who are seeking and have been deceived.

Sounds like we are long overdue for a visit my friend! We will have to talk about this later. I'd love to get more of your input about your trip.